Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

YE OLDE ORCHARD IN NDG - PUB AND BRUNCH

YE OLDE ORCHARD BAR & GRILL in NDG

GREEN EGGS AND HAM, AND OTHER FUN THINGS!

Ye Olde Orchard Bar & Grill - Pub Food and Brunches - NDG 
5563 Monkland Avenue, Montreal Qc H4A 1E1  Telephone: (514) 315-7932
Price Range:  ~$15-$30 per person including one drink, meal, tax, and tip 
Ye Olde Orchard Pub & Grill on Urbanspoon



View Larger Map  



"Would you like green eggs and ham?... Would you like them here or there?"
The immortal Dr. Seuss
(Note:  Dr. Seuss not actually immortal. Nor a doctor.)


I like green eggs and ham a lot, at Ye Olde Orchard in NDG!

I've been coming to this pub for breakfast for years now. I gotta say though, I was skeptical the very first time I had brunch here. Pesto in scrambled eggs? Really? It's not the most intuitive of combinations, but hey, I'll try anything (non-illegal, non-lethal, non-self-maiming, non-[INSERT HARMFUL CONCEPT HERE]) once. As it turns out, my doubts were unfounded. Green eggs and ham are pretty damn great. There's enough pesto not just to dye the eggs, but to legitimately leave its flavor stamp as well. The green eggs are one reason why I keep coming back. That said, it sure doesn't look that appetizing though. Look past the presentation though, and you will be well-rewarded: 
Tastes waaaaaaaaaay better than it looks. Also, evokes fond memories of Dr. Seuss literature.


Another signature brunch thing at Ye Olde Orchard is the Irish toast. Basically, it's French toast, with Bailey's Irish Creme as flavouring. And goodness, this dish makes the Bailey's lover in me positively swoon. Also, remember how I mentioned that the green eggs were one reason I keep coming back to this place? Well, the other, and stronger, reason is the sausages. Specifically, the lamb sausages. I don't know what they put in the lamb (and cheese) sausages to make them so bloody addictive, but they are. Every time I order breakfast at this pub I always order extra lamb sausage. Exquisitely seasoned and melt in your mouth tender (since they're sausages, I guess they're extra tender relative to other meats?) (I'm overthinking this, aren't I?), I was heartbroken to find out that no local store sells them. In fact, you have to go to Rosemere to buy these sausages. Man alive, that thought is angrifying (yes, I know that's not a real word. Shut up!).
Order more lamb sausage! Also, don't try to drink the Irish toast – the Bailey's is no longer liquid.
... okay, that was a very bad joke. Sorry, I'm slightly, mildly, totally exhausted.

For the unadventurous among you, you can also have a basic breakfast. Very solid choice for a classic style breakfast:

Boring can be tasty too!

For the truly hungry, try the big breakfast (I am having a memory hiccup and can't remember the precise name – maybe it's the Hearty Highlander? You'll know it when you see it).

Anyhow, this was only meant to be a stub (since Ye Olde Orchard also serves lunch and supper, I will write those up at a later date), so, it's time to go. Definitely a place worth visiting!






Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment