Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

MRS. AMIGOS – FRENCH FOOD (YES, I KNOW THE NAME IS SPANISH)

Mouthwatering Montreal Montreal restaurants

MRS. AMIGOS – A FRENCH RESTAURANT WITH A SPANISH NAME OPERATED BY CHINESE FOLKS – QUIRKY BUT DELIGHTFUL!


Mrs. Amigos – French(-ish) food with Chinese touches - Brossard

Bring your own wine


1200 Rome Boulevard, Brossard, QC J4W 3H3 Telephone: (450) 671-3777
Price Range:  ~$15-$30 per person including one drink, meal, tax, and tip 
Restaurant Mrs. Amigos on Urbanspoon

 

View Larger Map


So... This place was... different. But in a decidedly very good way.

Approaching the restaurant, the first thing that struck me was the sign. The utterly deceptive sign. It was bright. Colourful. And the sign promised breakfast and meals. 

Mrs. Amigos - restaurant exterior

Given the name, the associations immediately conjured up were Spanish- or Mexican-themed breakfasts and brunches. Which was great! Except – didn't my buddy invite me to a French restaurant...?

Maybe he got his European races mixed up...? Unlikely, right? But hey, anything's possible!

When I get on in there, a bright and shiny and clean restaurant interior awaited me. Sitting down, I was handed a menu by eager waitstaff. And then something else stuck out – the waitstaff was all Chinese, and on display in the back were Chinese pastries. ... Wasn't this place called Mrs. Amigos...?

Curiouser and curiouser. My friend, seeing the skepticism on my face, assured me that the place was great, incongruencies and all.

So, I cracked open the menu and saw largely French fare – mussels in white wine sauce, leg of lamb, and the like. And every now and again, something Chinese-sounding caught my eye. Like dumplings.

Shrugging, I ordered the things that caught my eye: Mussels in white wine sauce to begin, and pork chops as a main dish. My friend got the fried chicken on pasta.

And then, as the food started arriving, I got the first of the excellently pleasant surprises that the place delivered. The mussels smelled fantastic, and was doled out in a huge portion. I checked the menu again: Was all this really only $7.99?!

Heaping helping of hot... mussels (Damn it!The alliteration has been broken!)


Oh HELL YEAH.


I started eating with great relish – the mussels were delicately flavoured, and the steam kept on rising from the bowl even as I worked away at the fish. When I was done, I ordered more freshly toasted buns just to dip into the wine sauce that remained.

And then the pork chops arrived. And Lordy, the chops were huge and moist and tender and crisp in all the right places. And seasoned just right. The juices that burst out when I cut into them seeped nicely into the side white rice that came with the pork chops. I ate slowly and deliberately, because I determined to savour every last bite! 
Two pork chops. Each the size of my hand. And I have BIG HANDS.


I took a chunk of my friend's fried chicken. As with the pork chops, the meat was nice and tender. It was bit more lightly seasoned than the pork, but tasty nonetheless. His pasta wasn't the greatest though. Still and all, there was still every reason to be quite happy with the meal. 


Tender, tender chicken. Who needs pasta?

Following the main course, we ordered dessert, and there lay the second pleasant surprise of the meal. We got creme caramel and lichee sai mai lo (Chinese tapioca pudding) (yes, Chinese tapioca pudding – I mentioned that there were incongruencies at play in this place, yes?). And the presentation of both were quite unexpected. The creme caramel looked more like a cylinder of creme brulé without a bowl to hold its shape. 

Tasty. Also, I'm not sure, but the shell of dough in which the ice cream was placed? It sure looked like egg roll pastry at the time (I am NOT complaining!).

And the sai mai lo was... well, see for yourselves:

That's a column of lichee-infused gelatin in the centre.
Huh. Has anyone ever strung together the words "lichee-infused gelatin" before?

Typically sai mai lo does not look like this.

It didn't matter though. The stuff was all tasty.

So, overall? I'm-a-comin' back. Delectable food, huge serving sizes, inexpensive prices (seriously – appetizers were almost all less than $10, and most main dishes were $15 or less) – what's not to like? If you're not a big eater, you will have leftovers to bring home. If you're a big eater like me, you won't be disappointed by the quantity. Bottom line? EAT HERE.




***********************************


Map of restaurants I have reviewed:



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment