Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

L'ANECDOTE - HAMBURGERS


 L'ANECDOTE:

CRAMPED BOOTHS, EXPANSIVE FLAVOUR

801 Rue Rachel East, Montreal, QC H2J 2H6  
Telephone: (514) 526-7967
Price Range:  ~$15-$30 per person including one drink, meal, tax, and tip 
Restaurant L'Anecdote on Urbanspoon
*This restaurant is a Mouthwatering Favorite!

There are few things in life that are as good as a damn fine burger.

Except, y'know, maybe two damn fine burgers. (I have to say, with how much I eat, there are days where I"m amazed I'm not obese! Lovely thing, exercising like a fiend! You get to eat like a fiend as well!)

As with many other types of food, Montreal is home to a number of different places with exemplary burgers. And the lovely thing about the exemplary places is that they each largely have their own character. Something about the patty, or the seasoning, or the texture of the meat. Or the type of meat.

Which brings us to L'Anecdote. It's a smallish diner, with diner-style booths that are clearly made to accommodate very tiny people. Each time I go (with one other person, typically), I largely sit at tables usually reserved for six, just to stretch my legs out. And to get breathing room. And to be able to put my arms on the table. And even then:  Small space. I'm a fairly big guy - years of weight-lifting and martial arts have made me broad. And as a broad man, one of the visual things that stick out in a restaurant (at any place, really) is the size of the accommodations.

Still and all, none of that matters at L'Anecdote, not even remotely. Because I really only come here for one reason:  The burgers are AWESOME. They have four signature burgers, Anecdotes 1 through 4. Each is worth repeatedly having. Repeatedly. Oh YES. 

Anecdote 1:  beef patty, mushrooms, emmental cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise

Anecdote 2: lamb patty, mushrooms, blue cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise

Anecdote 3:  veal patty, curry, mushrooms, emmental cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise

Anecdote 4*:  venison patty (OOOOOOOH YEAH), mushrooms, dijon mustard, Zante currants, goat cheese, smoked bison, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise

*My favorite burger here!

On the outside, they all look like this:


One of four externally-identical awesome burgers. Hm. Is "quadruplet" the appropriate term?


And the patties are somewhat irregular-shaped. But really, NOT an issue. The flavour is the key thing here, after all. Doesn't it just look fantastic? You also have the option of having one or two patties (it's the difference between their small- and large-sized burgers).

Leaf and bun are pretty optional :P.

Interestingly enough, I don't know that you'd call the toppings "toppings", since they're on the bottom of the patty (I honestly can't remember when they started doing that. NOT quibbling about their effect!). Check it out:
Toppings on the bottom. "Bottomings"? ... Yeah, that don't sound none too good, son. "Toppings" it remains.

The perfect accompaniment to any of those four burgers are their fries cooked in peanut oil. They're darker as a result of the oil used (I think - that's my sense at least). And DO get one of the flavoured mayos - curry's my favourite. I have to warn you though: The fries are cooked in peanut oil. If you have peanut allergies, you are sadly out of luck :(.

Very tasty. My only complaint? TOO FEW FRIES.Argh...

Now, they DO have other food. Apparently breakfast here is tasty as well. But I'll be honest with you:  I ONLY ever come here for the burgers. Hell, for one of my foreign friends, this restaurant's burgers are among his fondest memories of Montreal (guess what he wants to eat when he's coming to town for a visit? Go on, guess!). So, to help you all separate the wheat from the chaff, or the burgers from the non-burgers, here's the burger menu page:


Burgers highlighted!

And there it is, in a nutshell. Go on down to L'Anecdote and get your burger on!


Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment