Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

FAVORITE CHINESE AND PIZZA RESTAURANTS

FAVORITES! Part 1: Chinese Food and Pizza

 

So, let's get started, shall we?
Montreal is a pretty big city with literally thousands of restaurants and hundreds of pubs and bars. In some locations, restaurants stay open for decades, whereas in others, some disappear quickly. I'll sort through old and new eventually, but for now I'm going to begin by compiling a list of favorites across the board!

In no particular order of favoriteness (yes, I know that's not a real word, and I don't care), here are the places I go to pretty damn often. Don't ask for an absolute favorite of mine, because seriously, that ain't happenin' (it's like asking me to choose between my index finger and thumb - it. Can't. Be. Done.). I will be doing more in-depth posts on each of these later. For now, you'll just have to live with quick blurbs. For convenience, I list restaurants by Name - Food Type - Location:

CHINESE FOOD
1)Maison du Nord - Northern Chinese food - Downtown
This is a small restaurant tucked away on St. Mathieu, right outside the Guy-Concordia Metro Station. They make their own noodles, craft thick Chinese crepes (both sweet and savory), and offer a wide variety of dumplings (steamed, boiled or fried). Plus: The serving sizes are HUGE. Double-plus: The food is VERY INEXPENSIVE. 
Their UrbanSpoon page:
Their own page (sadly, not yet in English, or French):

2130, Rue Saint Mathieu  
Montréal, QC H3H 1H5
Tél: (514) 670-3188



2)PM (Pret-à-Manger) - Cantonese style - Downtown
In what will be a somewhat recurring theme, here is a restaurant whose name gives you absolutely no hint whatsoever as to what kind of food it serves. This place serves Cantonese style Chinese food, and some Thai dishes, all of which is amazing. Let me put it this way: I am a CARNIVORE, and this is the only place in Montreal (and quite possibly, the PLANET) that makes tofu that I can't stop eating (it's #138 on the menu, and is called Japanese tofu with fungi and vegetables (don't freak out - the fungus is good). Other things that I love here: anything with XO sauce (no, not alcoholic), and the snake soup!

Their website:


1809 Sainte Catherine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, H3H 1M2 Telephone: (514) 931-8889


3)Restaurant Foo Lam - Dim Sum - Ahuntsic
The other place that somehow makes tofu magical. It's not the only thing though - just go there for Chinese brunch (y'know, "Dim Sum") and go nuts. It's all good!


Their UrbanSpoon page: 
9394 Boulevard De L'Acadie, Montreal, QC    Telephone: (514) 383-7878



PIZZA
1)La Frita Pizzeria - Diner: Pizza, Submarines -St-Henri
Out of the way, on Notre-Dame Street, this unassuming corner restaurant (okay, not quite on the corner, but you know what I mean) (I...hope...) makes great pizza. The crust is crispy and chewy, and the toppings are generous but not overindulgent. Also, the subs here? Fantastic. In fact, if you're really hungry, might I recommend the pizza/submarine superspecial combo? Only $13.99!

Their UrbanSpoon page:

4909 Notre Dame West, Montreal, Quebec   Telephone: (514) 932-3952


2)Fameux Viande Fumée et Charcuterie - Diner and Delicatessen - Plateau Mont-Royal
A block west of the Mont Royal Metro Station, this place does a pretty damn good job at cooking a number of things - spanakopita, club sandwiches, and breakfasts. What really jumped out at me though was the pizza - and it's not even supposed to be their specialty! Huge pizzas with lots of toppings, my personal favorite here is the bacon  and onion pizza.

Great. Now I want one...

Their Urbanspoon page:

4500 Rue St-Denis, Montréal, QC H2J2L3  Telephone: (514) 845-8732

Okay. That's enough for now. I need a snack! Part 2 when I'm less hungry!



Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment