Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

FAVORITE ICE CREAM AND OTHER FROZEN DESSERT PLACES

FAVORITES! ICE CREAM AND FROZEN TREATS (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND SUPPER ON STUPIDLY HOT DAYS)


Oh. My. GODS. Montreal is INSANELY HOT today. I'm taking a quick break to eat mango frozen yogurt right now because, despite being in an air-conditioned room, I am STILL sweating like a stuck pig. At home, I'm putting up the second air conditioner tonight, because I think that's the only way I'm-a-sleepin'. I mean, look how ridiculous it is. Do you see the highlighted part of the Weathernetwork screencap? HIGH HEAT AND HUMIDITY WARNING!
The highlighting ellipse is so shaky because the sweat on my hands is making it hard to use a mouse... Grrr...



And look what they're trying to bury in the fine print:  "Feels like 44". It'd just be easier to say "100% pain".
Yeah, nice try there - we're not fooled. We KNOW  it's so hot it hurts!
Basically, this is the type of day where I not just voluntarily, but actually actively seek out only salad for lunch. Any other time you catch me doing that, it means that you've come face-to-face with an imposter (in which case, restrain the dude and extract my whereabouts from him). My wits are duller, my movements are sluggish, and no amount of water or seems to slake my thirst. It is the only time of year where I eat ice cream or something similar for supper. Does that make me a bad example for kids? Maybe. But, I. Don't. CARE.

So, with that in mind, let me share with you my favorite frozen dessert places, so that you might suffer a little less in heated silence...


1)Gastronomia Roberto - Gelato/Italian Food/Italian Grocer - Villeray-Saint-Michel

2227 Rue Belanger, Montreal, QC H2G 1C5   Telephone: (514) 374-5653
 
So, on any given hot day, you will find lineups at this place. You will find yourself frustrated as the lucky customers ahead of you walk on out with their gelato in hand, delightedly smiling the whole while. Oh, cruel fate, why were they there before me? But oh Lordy, that wait and frustration will be worth it when you're served (to be fair, it really doesn't take long to be served. It only FEELS like an eternity due to your anticipation). They have about a dozen flavors, and you can easily have them fit three flavors in your serving cup (or you could, you know, just buy pints at a time, like I do. Frequently...). Love 'em all, but I do have an absolute favorite there:  Cantaloup (melone, as it's called in-store)! My GOD the stuff is to kill for on hot days like today!


2)Havre aux Glaces - Gelato - Villeray-Saint-Michel
7070, rue Henri Julien, Montreal, QC, H2S 3A  Telephone (514) 278-8696

One of the spots at the Jean-Talon Market that makes me deliriously happy, this place takes my money on a regular basis during the summer. Tons of flavors, and they're all good. Seriously. All. GOOD. I really don't find that one sticks out above all others, so just go nuts over there! The place can get crowded (it is tiny), so be prepared to take your gelato on the go for a walk around the market!


3)Les Givrés - Desserts - Plateau-Mont-Royal

Their website: http://www.lesgivres.ca/
3807 St-Denis, Montréal, Québec   Telephone: (514) 373-7558

This place makes its own ice cream and sorbets and desserts and...
Yeah, okay, I got lost in thought there. Delicious, delicious thoughts of ice cream and sorbet and... oh-man-I-am-salivating.  Anyhow, the place is big, well-lit, and marvelously air-conditioned. Their stuff is fantastic, and two offerings stand out most for me:  Their coffee ice cream and their mango sorbet. The coffee ice cream has real fair-trade coffee beans and is, amazingly, not that sweet at all. But it WORKS. As for their mango sorbet, suffice it to say that that's ALL I'm having for supper tonight. But not before I cool down first by putting the entire pint of sorbet against my forehead for a few minutes...


4)Le Glacier Bilboquet - Ice Cream and Sorbet - Multiple Locations: Westmount/Outremont/West Island/Laval/Brossard/Plateau Mont-Royal/Old Port of Montreal

Their website: http://www.bilboquet.ca/
Their addresses (you THINK I'm going to type all those out?):  http://www.bilboquet.ca/adresses.html

I don't know what I love more about Bilboquet: Their ice creams/sorbets, or their amazing accessibility. Seriously, did you SEE how many locations they have? At one point, they were located an unbelievably few paces away from my place of work. I almost couldn't make rent during that period in life... :P.  On a more serious note, you owe it to yourselves to give any one of their franchises a whirl. I have a particular fondness for the Westmount location because they also sell awesome jellybeans (maybe they all do, and I've never noticed because of my bloodhound-like focus for ice cream - because, admittedly, it was a complete fluke that I noticed the jellybeans in Westmount in the first place!). Something to try at Bilboquet:  The banana split!


And with that, it's time for me to go put my head in the freezer. I hope you all can find some refuge in the above-mentioned houses of frozen goodness.

Argh! I'm melting! Damn you, hot weather!

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment