Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

HURLEY'S IRISH PUB

Mouthwatering Montreal Montreal restaurants

  STUB REVIEW:  

HURLEY'S IRISH PUB - 

YOU REALLY WANT TO EAT HERE, GUYS!

1225 Rue Crescent, Montréal, QC H3G 2B1   Telephone:  514.861.4111 
Price Range:  ~$15-$30 per person including one drink, meal, tax, and tip 
Hurley's Irish Pub on Urbanspoon

 *This restaurant is a Mouthwatering Favorite!


View Larger Map

Ah, Hurley's. One of the pubs I go to for food rather than for drink. I mean, I do buy drinks here, but it's not the primary purpose for the visit. There's just nothing special about their alcohol, in the end. What IS special though? Their sandwiches and their savory pies!

As I've said on my list of favorite pubs (http://mouthwateringmontreal.blogspot.ca/2013/08/favorites-pubs-and-bars-part-1-update.html), my favorite thing here is the steak and kidney pie. Basically, it's huge, tender chunks of both steak and kidney cooked in a wonderfully savory gravy baked right inside a thick, chewy crust. It's all served next to a bed of salad and is just the thing to hit the spot on a cold winter's night (uh, the steak and kidney pie and not the salad, folks). Sadly, it's only available on Wednesdays. Even more sadly, because the pie is made to order, the moment they run out, they've run OUT. So, after a certain point, like say, after 8pm on Wednesday, you really do have to call ahead to make sure that they still have some. When they say, "Yes", you GO. You only live once, people! Make the most of it! Now, sadly, my cameraphone ran out of battery just before I could take some pictures last time; I will post some up the next time I get one.

Other things that are great here are their sandwiches. In fact, that's what got me to start coming here in the first place. They are all good bets, but the one that stands above the rest is the beef dip sandwich ($11.50).


Beef. Beef drippings. Curry mayo. How does one STOP eating this? It's impossible, I tell you!

This sandwich consists of tender slices of well-seasoned beef on bagette, with a small bowl of beef drippings on the side. As the sandwich name overtly states, you dip the sandwich into the drippings. And then you ENJOY. Oh, yes. For added extra flavor, make sure you ask for their curry mayo. You dip the sandwich into both before taking a bite, and your mouth will have an absolute explosion of flavor.

...

I want one NOW, dammit!

Hurley's also does a fantastic job with burgers. They are all good. Er, well, I will assume that they are all good. There is one burger here that I have never tried:  The vegetarian burger. Because, y'know, it's vegetarian. And that I don't do. My favorite burger here is the Swiss mushroom platter ($9.75) - it's 8oz of lean beef patty garnished with grilled mushrooms and melted Swiss and it does not disappoint, now or ever. 


When did this whole "toppings beneath the patty" thing become a thing, anyhow?























And with any of the three meals I've described, I always have a black and tan - a stout beer on top of a non-stout beer ($7.50 - I think). 


It's hard to see in this photo (once again, I apologize for my subpar photography - I am damn good at many things. Sadly, being a shutterbug ain't one of 'em), but the stout is floating atop the lighter beer. I do so love this drink :).

Finally, Hurley's also has live entertainment. Quite often (in fact, maybe every night - just check their schedule here:  http://www.hurleysirishpub.com/en_entertainment.html), after 9:30pm you can find a live band jamming the night away. All in all, this is a great place with great food and great atmosphere. Well worth the after-work trip, friends!

UPDATE:
Here it is: The steak and kidney pie! 

You WANT THIS. NOW.

 
***********************************



Map of restaurants I have reviewed:

Creative Commons License
Mouthwatering Montreal - Hurley's Irish Pub is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment