Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

ROTISSERIE SUD-WEST BAR-B-QUE



Mouthwatering Montreal Montreal restaurants

YOU MUST TRY THE RIBS AND CHICKEN AT ROTISSERIE SUD-WEST BAR-B-QUE!

3401 Notre Dame West
Montreal, Quebec
Telephone: 514-904-4444

Price range: Ranges from $15 per person to under $30 per person for a meal and a drink, depending on your main dish. It's always a good deal though!

Rotisserie Sud-west Bar-b-que on Urbanspoon


View Larger Map




Mouthwatering Summary:  Meats slow-cooked to PERFECTION, accompanied by beers from around the world. 
Meal to try: Both types of ribs (pork and beef), and the bbq chicken!



Rotisserie Sud-West Bar-B-Que only opened up about three weeks ago, not far from where I live. In that three weeks, I've already eaten there enough times that they recognize my voice on the phone now :P. That really should tell you all you need to know about the awesomeness of the flavour of food here, I think!

But, it wouldn't be much of a review if I just said, "Try it all", now would it? So, off I go!

So, as I was saying, this place only opened a few weeks ago. I was basically eyeing it with great anticipation each time I passed it on the way home, anxiously waiting for yet another BBQ place to open. Very few things thrill me like the promise of potentially great ribs (I think I might have an addiction some days...). Lordy, did this place exceed my expectations and then some!

First, let's start with what you see when you get in line: A big beer fridge with beers from across the planet. Always a welcome sight for me:




Of course, you don't go to a bbq place for the drinks. Those are only the added bonuses, after all. You come for the meat. Let me introduce you to the magical meats they serve here. First, here are half racks of both types, beef and pork ($19.95):



Oh my GOD. Both sets of ribs are ultra-tender, ultra-juicy, well-seasoned hunks of meat that absolutely fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. You don't need to add any further sauces to these things (although the sauces are good too). You just get them to your table and you begin the feasting. PERIOD. Every bite reminds you that the ribs took about 8 hours to cook.

Next, bbq quarter chicken leg ($9.45):




As with the ribs, the chicken is slow-cooked to perfection too. The skin is crispy-chewy-soft (how do they DO that?), and the meat is impossibly well-seasoned. Also like the ribs, the meat falls off the bone. And it can't get in my mouth fast enough!

The sides are pretty amazing too. The roasted potatoes taste like they've been roasted in the drippings of the meat, and the coleslaw and potato salad is fresh. The slaw in particular tastes absolutely vibrant. Not from frozen, that's for sure!

Their wings are pretty awesome too - a bit less awesome than the rest, but great regardless. Here, they're part of a rib combo - which they had to do because they ran out of chicken (by the way - get there early, folks - because the food is fresh, they can run out during busy periods!). Typically, 4 wings cost $10.65; here they're served with the Asian sauce:

Basically: YUM! The wings are not enough meat for me, but they are tasty!

I've also adopted the habit of trying new beers everytime I come here. On my most recent visit (read: VERY recently), I tried this Czech beer, "Czechvar Premium" ($6.95 for a 500ml can):
Unremarkable, but good with chicken and ribs!

Before I get to home delivery, one final mention about the dining room - they have an AWESOME hand cleaning station! I love this thing, and I wish I could bring it home! It's a pedal-operated handwashing station - perfect for a meat place!




They're also pretty decent with delivery times during peak periods. Recently (i.e., Thursday!), I ordered a Lone Star sandwich ($7.99 - with sides, $10.49). Here's the colourful box:


And here's the meal:

And you know what? I could just eat this sandwich all day long, every day. It's a bbq chicken sandwich with hummus in it. The chicken is somehow even more tender without the bones, and the hummus is more liquidy than in other places, but it coats the meat evenly and just makes it that much better. Sweet Jebus this thing was good. I did my damndest to eat this thing slowly so as to savor every last bite. This sandwich combo is by far the best deal I've had here. It's a big, flavorful thing that leaves you wanting more even though it satisfies you. Make sure you ask for caramelized onions with yours!

This was an easy blog post to write. Honestly, the food is GREAT, and I've developed a powerfully strong addiction to it. And so has one of my friends - I get the feeling that this will be a recurrent pattern. You really ought to try this place. Just one caveat: It IS a new place, and the staff are getting their feet wet. They can run out of food if you show up past 7:30pm - get there early, people! They can also kinda get your orders mixed up now and again when there's a heavy volume of customers (which happens at peak periods, believe me), but they're getting better at it. They're friendly, hard-working, and earnestly trying to make some seriously good, seriously fresh meat. It's very easy to overlook the minor service hiccups because the food is DAMN WORTHWHILE. Go! Try now! You will fall in love with the meat!


***********************************

Map of restaurants I have reviewed:



Creative Commons License
Mouthwatering Montreal - Review of Rotisserie Sud-West Bar-B-Que is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment