Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

PUB RANDOLPH - PUB AND BOARD GAMES!



Mouthwatering Montreal Montreal restaurants

FULL REVIEW:  PUB RANDOLPH - 

INVENTIVE DRINKS AND 

1000 BOARD GAMES AT YOUR FINGERTIPS!


Their website:  http://www.randolphpub.ca/
2041 St Denis St Montreal, QC H2X 3K8
Telephone:   514-419-5001

Their alcohol menu: http://www.randolphpub.ca/#!boire/c11rf

Their food menu:  http://www.randolphpub.ca/#!bouffe/c1jo3

Price range:  $15 or less for one person including one drink, meal, tax, and tip (depending on drink and food). Note that if you want to play games, you have to pay a $5 flat fee which grants you access to games for the entirety of the day.


Pub Randolph on Urbanspoon




View Larger Map









Mouthwatering summary: Just $5 to play over 1000 board games for an entire night! Plus playful drinks!

Meal to try: You're really coming here to play the board games. But, I DO recommend the "Carrot Muffin" shooter and the brownie!


Ah, Pub Randolph. This is one of those crazy awesome places where, despite there being tasty food, the attraction is actually NOT the food. Oh, no, not at all. Pub Randolph is, instead, a two-story pub that is home to ONE THOUSAND BOARD GAMES. 


...

Oh, how the inner (and outer) nerd in me just glistens with glee every time I visit or even THINK about this place! I mean, just LOOK at the games they have:


Wall ONE of games.


Wall TWO of games.


Where Wall 1 and Wall 2 join.

How is this NOT enticing? And the further beauty of it all is the fact that you not only have access to all these games, you have a bunch of friendly, jovial, animated staff ready and eager to not just explain the rules of the various games to you but who can very easily recommend a game suited to your wants of the moment. Basically, they can (and do) give good game suggestions based on the number of people in your party, the amount of time you have to play or that you want to spend on any particular game, and the mood/type of game that you're after. In fact, such staff have a particular specific uniform (a bright-red polo shirt) and designation:  Animators. Additionally, all the wait staff are good and friendly too. Basically, Pub Randolph is designed to be a fun place, and it delivers.

Still and all, this is a food blog, so I can't just talk about the games. And with that, off we go on my discussion on Pub Randolph's victuals. I will begin with the funnest things here (yes, I know "funnest" isn't a real word. Shut up!). For me, the most fun things are the inventive shooters. There's a whole bunch, and a lot have fun names:


Ninja Turtle ($4):





Green, melon-y, sweet and tasty!

Carrot Muffin ($4):





True to its name, Carrot Muffin actually tastes like a carrot muffin! I have no idea what kinda crazy voodoo magic they worked, but it. Was. AWESOME. Speaking of voodoo magic, I give you, the Cthulu ($4):




Green, melon-y, sweet and tasty! ... Yeah, I honestly don't know how it's different from the Ninja Turtle. But I don't care! Same price for both, and both make my taste buds SING.


We tried a whole bunch more, but sadly, my camera's battery died :(. And so, for now you'll only get a quick rundown of what else I've had here: Forêt noire, Hungry Hungry Hippos, the Irish carbomb, JagerMonster, Tarte à la lime, and the Randolph.  Of these, only the Randolph was something I'll never have again (of course, it could just be my personal taste - I typically LOVE sweet shots, and the Randolph was a savory one!). Everything else on that list I just typed up is DEFINITELY worth trying if you like your shots to taste like either candy or dessert!


Beyond the shots, you also have the usual complement of pub drinks. Beer, for example (one pint, $7):




Also, they have AWESOME sangria ($10)!




This one looked a bit different from every other sangria I've ever had. It might have something to do with the ingredients - there's red wine, triple sec, orange juice and 7-up in this. Still and all, it WORKS.

For those who don't want alcohol, you can also have tea. They have a wide choice of teas, which they bring to you in a big box to inspect. One of my friends got a wonderful little blueberry tea ($4):





With respect to main dishes (really, any food that they serve), Pub Randolph subscribes to a "non-messy and non-sticky" doctrine - their food is basically not greasy (or has very little outward grease). Which makes sense - they really don't want to unnecessarily dirty up the components of their games. Consequently, menu consists of sandwiches and non-finger-food-esque stuff.


For example, here is my favorite main dish here, the bacon and gruyere quiche ($7.50):



It's a lovely little savory pie. Nothing out-of-this-world, mind you, but definitely tasty. It especially hits the spot on a cold night!


This is their grilled roast beef sandwich ($10):

More accurately, it's a roast beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese sandwich with a healthy dollop of dijon mustard.
And their grilled tomato and cheese sandwich ($10):


More specifically, this is a tomato, bocconcini, basic, and olive spread sandwich.

Both sandwiches are very solid choices! My only complaint about the sandwiches is that they're just a wee bit small... I basically eat two each time (well, actually, I always kinda do...). That said, DO remember that I eat like a monster...


What I like even more though, is dessert here! My favorite? Their brownie ($4)! Which went REALLY well with their Irish coffee ($8)!

No, they DON'T serve drinks half-consumed, or brownies already bitten. We were just TOO tempted by the pair to hold off indulging. This photo was taken after we already started attacking the combo like locusts!
The brownie was soft and gooey and moist on the inside and had a nice mildly crispy shell. It was nearly impossible to not stuff this in my mouth in one go! As for the Irish coffee - it was rich and sweet and sticky and delicious. Definitely done right, I would say.

You could also have a big soft macadamia cookie ($3):





Again, a dessert that's nice and soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. A well-done cookie, to be sure!


Okay, food done (for now). Here are a couple of new board game discoveries to which we were introduced by the animators (NOT an exhaustive list of games that we've played here by ANY stretch of the imagination) (yeah, I think I've spent too much time here...). 


This is Botswana, a game of animal speculation (I'm not going to explain the rules here; ask one of the animators when you go there! In the meantime, you can read up a bit more at http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GRY00236 and also at the following website as well http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/398/botswana):









This is Blokus (read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blokus)!




Both were FUN, and I damn well nearly went out and bought Blokus the next day...


And here's a game that one of my friends LOVES, Pandemic (read more about it here http://zmangames.com/product-details.php?id=1246):



Pandemic: Where you can enact a disaster-movie style of tension just by playing a board game!
Anyhow, I think I'll wrap this one up here. I'll add more pictures with each new visit! Just know that if you're a board gamer (or just plain like games in general), Pub Randolph is THE place for you! 



***********************************


Map of restaurants I have reviewed:




Creative Commons License
Mouthwatering Montreal - Pub Randolph Ludique is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

4 comments:

  1. Traveling from Nova Scotia to Montréal! Very Bad Attitude.

    Last night (Sunday, May 11th,2015 Around 9 PM) Me and two other friends (3 People) went to the shop to play the board games (Recommended by Travel Guides!). There was a big crowd inside and a small line outside (Technically very busy!). There are two types of servers inside, one wearing black T-Shirt and the other wearing Red T-Shirt.

    We already did our dinner and we were not hungry or not intending to drink alcohol just for the moment. There was a 5$ per person cover fee. At the entrance we asked a red T-shirt server the rules and he said the entrance fee is 5$ per person and he will come to the table to explain the games which we choose from the shelf.

    We took a sit and a server came and asked us if we want something. We politely said we are ok for now and she left. Our lady friend went to the game shelf to check out the games and there is bouncer (Black T-Shirt with tattoos) type server told her that you cannot play any game unless you order food or drinks. Probably due to the heavy demand at the moment the lady server informed the bouncer server that we are not interested for food or drink now. Our lady friend came to us and told us the situation and we stayed for few moments if someone come and explain us the situation or ask us for order again, but they totally avoided us. So we took our jackets and left the place.

    Just for doing business and for money this should not be the intent of the restaurants. Even though we are going to pay the cover fee of 5 $ and we never said that we will not take anything in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.Board game café

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this blog post. I often go to Pub Montreal for some enjoyment and try different food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Thank you for the information. I have been to a few of the mentioned places. The place was amazing. I had one of the best food of my life there. But, if you want to list those restaurants on the top business listing website of Montreal, do contact us.

    ReplyDelete